out-of-date libtool in a former Debian package.

I'm trying to compile pornview on testing/jessio.  It compiled fine on
wheezy, making a nice Debian package.  But when trying to compile it on
jessie I got complaints about libtool.

I suspect incompatible changes somewhere in the libtool/automake/
configure area.

I've tried replacing the libtool in the package's root directory by a
symbolic link to /usr/bin/libtool.  This would give me the up-to-date one
in my system.

No luck there; now I get complaints that it can't open the file.  Since
the file there has read and execute permissions, I conclude that it's
trying to *write* libtool.

Presumably it's trying to create its own libtool script to use later
instead of just using the system one.   I haven't found where it makes it
yet.

Now I found an old web page, http://www.v7w.com/debian/libtool-
updating.html, that describes the use of scripts that update a properly
made autoconf/automake setup to the latest version of these tools.

(a) Is this the way to go?  Is it even relevant?
(b) Are these instructions up-to-date?
(c) Should I apply these to the modified version after the Debian patches
have been applied, or to the upstream version?  If the former, presumable
I should later retrofit the upstream source and/or the Debian patches to
match?
(d) Am I even barking up the wrong tree, and should I do it completely
differently?

Presumably after getting through all this I can get around to looking at
GTK2/GTK3 changes.  But that's for the (far?) uture.

-- hendrik