Re: in-kernel messaging (was Re: brasero requires gvfs)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:38:47 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

Thanks for your very clear explanation, Jonathan.

> kernel support is pretty much essential to improve the performance of
> dbus. Lots of data is being passed over dbus by apps nowadays, and
> because it's an entirely userspace solution that means data is being
> copied from process to process.
> These needless copies can be avoided
> with some kind of help from the kernel, but none of the existing IPC
> mechanisms are good enough.

Beyong my leadue far this is, but applying Ocam's Razor to this
situation, I'd say the solution could be to have "several layers
of userspace" with different rights & privileges ? (a bit like
the i386 CPU privileges layers).

This way, if app-A and app-B are authorized to communicate, no more
data copy (?)