in-kernel messaging (was Re: brasero requires gvfs)

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 03:54:06AM +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> Hehe, because it sinks his claws deep and everywhere (it also
> plans to implant  dbus _into_ the kernel (WTF? A kernel is
> here to kernelling and nothing else AFAIK),

Plans to move bits of dbus into the kernel predate systemd. The first serious
effort I am aware of was patches by Vince Sanders (and possibly others) to add
a DBUS socket type, but they were nixed by the network maintainer. It now looks
like it might happen with KDBUS. Other than having Lennart's involvement, I
don't think this has anything much to do with systemd.

kernel support is pretty much essential to improve the performance of dbus.
Lots of data is being passed over dbus by apps nowadays, and because it's an
entirely userspace solution that means data is being copied from process to
process. These needless copies can be avoided with some kind of help from the
kernel, but none of the existing IPC mechanisms are good enough.