Re: vlan not tagging packets | no reply to vlan

"Podrigal, Aron" <aronp@guaranteedplus.com> writes:

>Hi there,

>I'm trying to setup vlans on debian wheezy 7.6. But I can't get it to work.
>Is there something special I'm missing out there? I tried searching around,
>but I didn't get any further.

>I couldn't figure out where this is going wrong. Looks like either the
>packets going out the vlan is not being tagged, or something unknown is
>happening.

>I have 2 hosts directly connected to each other, both have intel i350Gb
>ethernet cards.
>host 1 physical interface eth1 = 10.0.10.68
>host 2 physical interface has no ip, and vlan has assigned 10.0.10.70

I cannot see how this setup would work. Host 2 will be sending 802.11Q
encapsulated packets, but host 1 will not be expecting that so it will
ignore them. This would lead to the exact results you are seeing.

So to counter your subject line, I would say vlan *is* tagging packets,
it's just that one host is not expecting tagged packets.

You will need to set up vlan 10 on host 1 and assing 10.100.110.68 to
eth1.10 for it to receive packets.

>root@host1:~# tcpdump -vv -i eth1 -s 1500  ether proto not 0x88cc

Try running that tcpdump command with "-e" to show link level headers.
Perhaps that will show the VLAN tag on the packet.