Re: embrace, extend, extinguish

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 18:03:41 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do stop bellyaching to no avail.  If you feel that Lennart should be
> stopped, find a way of stopping him.  But this is not it.
>
> Lisi

He who forgets history is bound to repeat it.

Mid to late 1990's, lots of people were sick and tired of Microsoft,
but felt they were alone. Nobody, and I mean nobody including the
Justice Department, had the power to divert Uncle Billy and his
sidekick Stevie from their illegal monopolistic activities responsible
for the deaths of so many good software companies.

So Linux people talked up how bad Microsoft was, and the great
alternative that was Linux. They didn't waste their time talking to
Uncle Billy, who would not listen. They talked to each other, forming a
movement, gathering strength, and ultimately robbed Microsoft of the
server marketplace. They bellyached to each other to gain numbers, they
didn't right away go up against Uncle Billy.

Bellyaching can be effective in improving the world, when the aim is to
gain numbers. You said "If you feel that Lennart should be stopped,
find a way of stopping him." Threads like this are the best way to stop
him, because we build up the necessary community.

And please remember, threads like these are posted *by* Debian users,
*for* Debian users, *on* the Debian-users mailing list.

SteveT