Re: embrace, extend, extinguish

Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Tuesday 02 September 2014 14:52:46 Joe wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 23:44:49 +1200

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 07:22:48AM +0000, KD wrote:
Dan Ritter <dsr <at> randomstring.org> writes:
Reading:
http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-systems
.html

systemd's upstream is explicitly interested in taking over all
Linux distros, not in the minor sense of being supported on
every system but in the major sense of making package management
conform to their own views.
There's one sentence in the cited article I really like:
"I originally intended to discuss this at the Linux Plumbers
Conference (which I assumed was the right forum for this kind of
major plumbing level improvement), and at linux.conf.au, but there
was no interest in my session submissions there..."
At least he had the good sense to not even consider discussing it on
the debian-user mailing list.
So is this vision of the future not likely to affect Debian, then? I
get the impression it is expected to do so.
This endless verbosity will not make one iota of difference.  Lobby those who
might be able to do something if you feel like it, e.g. the developers.  But
it really doesn't count as support for users of Debian.

Information about things likely to effect users of Debian IS support. It effects planning and decision making about future upgrades and deployments.

I might also point out that this is the "debian-user" list - defined as "Help and discussion among users of Debian." Discussion covers a lot more ground than just "support."

On the other hand, endless commenting about "[I'm not interested in this' | 'I don't agree'] so shut up" is not productive in any way, shape, manner, or form. Subject lines, delete keys, and kill files are very useful tools.

Miles Fidelman