hwmonitor device name not persistant

I am running up-to-date debian sid amd64 and have found that fancontol
sometimes fails to start after a reboot reporting that:

Device path of hwmon0 has changed
Device name of hwmon0 has changed
Configuration appears to be outdated, please run pwmconfig again

On inspecting /etc/fancontrol it would appear that the device name has
changed between reboots.

(Yesterdays /etc/fancontrol after running pwnconfig)

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=10
DEVPATH=hwmon0=devices/platform/nct6775.656
DEVNAME=hwmon0=nct6776
FCTEMPS=hwmon0/pwm2=hwmon0/temp2_input
FCFANS= hwmon0/pwm2=hwmon0/fan2_input
MINTEMP=hwmon0/pwm2=20
MAXTEMP=hwmon0/pwm2=60
MINSTART=hwmon0/pwm2=150
MINSTOP=hwmon0/pwm2=0

(Todays /etc/fancontrol after running pwnconfig)

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=10
DEVPATH=hwmon2=devices/platform/nct6775.656
DEVNAME=hwmon2=nct6776
FCTEMPS=hwmon2/pwm2=hwmon2/temp2_input
FCFANS= hwmon2/pwm2=hwmon2/fan2_input
MINTEMP=hwmon2/pwm2=20
MAXTEMP=hwmon2/pwm2=60
MINSTART=hwmon2/pwm2=150

So the device seems to have changed from hwmon0 to hwmon2 between successive
boots.

An idea what I should do to make the device name persistent?

Thanks
Rob