portability of jigdo

Context:
On the tex user group, someone was asking/complaining about the difficulties of downloading texlive.

- One has to download one (few?) large (in GBs) dvd image
- The user was on a slow/flaky line

In response the texlive folks admitted that there was a problem without
a clear solution.

It occurred to me that jigdo is made for exactly this kind of issue.

So the question, how easy is it to port jigdo?

Two parts to the question:

1. Jigdo server can presumably be run on a unix system, specifically
debian. So the 'porting' required is not much more than changing the files
served from debian-installers to texlive-installers

2. Jigdo client should run on all OSes (including windows)

Looking around the docs I find that the easier part (1) is undocumented (or I didn't find any)