Re: Troubles installing alongside Windows 8.1

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:58:50 -0400
PaulNM <debian@paulscrap.com> wrote:

> On 08/28/2014 04:45 PM, Joe wrote:

> >> startup in Windows.  I did that but see no difference.
> >>

> > That may have been inspired by something I originally posted, but
> > wouldn't be relevant here. The easily accessible Windows 8 shutdown
> > command does nothing of the sort, but goes into (I believe) standby
> > to RAM. It is necessary to dig into the Power entry in the charms to
> > actually turn off the power. Standby is OK when you know you will be
> > using the machine again within 24 hours or so and the battery is
> > full.
> >

> Minor correction here:  The fastboot is a hybrid hibernate, not
> suspension.  The userspace stuff closes as in a normal shutdown, but
> then the OS hibernates and the system powers off. The
> OS/driver/services state is saved and restored from the hibernate
> file. It's not a normal hibernate, since the user stuff isn't saved,
> hence "hybrid".

Sorry, I wasn't clear, that's what I was describing next. The first
paragraph was about Windows' general preference for standby rather than
shutdown, and needing to be explicitly told to turn the power off. The
easily-accessible (from Metro) shutdown menu doesn't include power off.

--
Joe