Troubles installing alongside Windows 8.1

I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1, that uses "secure boot" (EFI) and GPT partitions.

Using windows tools, I shrank the main Windows partition.

Using the Xubuntu 14.04.1 AMD-64 Desktop DVD, I created a root and a swap partition in the hole I had created.  I installed Xubuntu.

Everything worked except the GRUB install.  When do the necessary bind mounts from the DVD and chroot into the laptop's hard drive, grub-install says it's installing for x86_64-efi (good!) but then complains that it cannot find the EFI partition.

But gdisk reports that partition 2 on the disk has code EF00, and gparted recognizes it as having a VFAT filesystem starting at sector 923648 and extending for 260 MiB  It looks normal to me.

What am I missing?

--
Kevin O'Gorman