Re: The Fine Art of Making a Bootable Drive; more

Stefan Monnier writes:
> > One last step may be necessary : update the UUIDs in /etc/fstab and
> > /boot/grub/grub.cfg, as you created new volumes with new UUIDs instead
> > of cloning them. Or alternatively, change the UUIDs on the new disk with
> > tune2fs, mkswap... to match the ones on the old disk. Otherwise you'll
> > be stuck at grub's menu.
>
> Or just say no to UUIDs ;-)
	I was ultimately successful. Here is what I did:
	I started out with dd if=olddrive of=newdrive and waited
that process out. Then, I ran fdisk -c=dos since the new disk
had the older dos-compatible format thrown in for free by the dd
operation.
	I nervously deleted all but Partition 1 and then used
tune2fs to widen Partition 1 to near 15 GB out of 16 GB
possible.
	Finally, I made another primary partition #2 to cover
all remaining space and then over-wrote that with an extended
logical partition 5 and made it type 82 for swap.
	It works like a fine watch. I finally had one last 16 GB
flash drive for another old system so I simply used DD to clone
the drive I had finish making on to the new drive. Of course,
one needs to be careful to mount the new drive once and change
such things as the host name and or any hard-coded host
information such as the name and network settings or you will
have real trouble if the two twins are on at the same time.
	Since these are flash drives, I compromised between
having fstab mount / normally and mounting / with the noatime
option. The relatime option is said to be less wear on the disk
and still usually gives the kind of time stamping that the
normal mount gives you.
	Thanks, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. I will
save the messages for other situations in which I may need to do
similar things.

Martin McCormick