Re: The Fine Art of Making a Bootable Drive; more

Bob Weber writes:
> I use sysrescuecd (http://www.sysresccd.org/) to make a new drive
> bootable.
> There are two ways to get a bootable disk with sysrescuecd.
>
> One way is to use a special boot mode where sysrescue starts its own
> kernel to a
> system on the hard disk.  Once booted you can just use 'grub-install
> /dev/sda'
> to install grub on the boot drive.  I run software raid1 so I do this for
> both
> drives just in case I need to boot from sdb.
>
> A second way is to start sysrescuecd normally and mount the root file
> system  to
> a directory.  Make a directory say x and mount the root filesystem on it.
>  Run
> these three commands:  "mount --bind /dev  x/dev"  and "mount --bind /proc
> x/proc" and "mount --bind /sys  x/sys".  Then run "chroot x /bin/bash" to
> get a
> command prompt running off of your root file system with the dev, proc
> and sys
> populated correctly.  Now you can run the grub install command and
> hopefully get
> a bootable drive.
>
> The first method works the best since sometimes grub gets confused in the
> chroot
> environment and cant find the hard drive you want to install it on.

Ben there but I wasn't sure about
in which order to do the mount commands you illustrated so now I
think I understand enough to get something working.
My thanks also to
Gary Dale in the previous posting.
	I will save all these messages since I haven't finished
with the new drive yet but I have a better understanding of what
is going on and why I was having so much trouble. Thanks to all.

Martin