Re: No localhost - I'm stumped

On Aug 25, 2014 7:30 PM, "John" <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> wrote:

> On 24/08/14, Curt (curty@free.fr) wrote:
> > On 2014-08-24, John <JohnRChamplin@wowway.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've tried everything I can think of, and hints regarding what to try next
> > > would be higholy welcome.
> >
> > Some things to try here:
> >
> > http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/26487/can-ping-any-hosts-but-localhost-whats-wrong
>
> Thanks for the help and the link; it's useful.  But alas, nothing from it s=
> olved my problem.  I think next I'll try reinstalling stuff -- cups, hplip,=
>  anything else that comes to mind -- and see if I blunder into a fix.
>
> Still, it would be nice to _understand_ ...
>
> --
> JohnRChamplin@wowway.com
> GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05
> EE51 79E9 F244 D734 A012 1CEC 7813 9FE9 9942 1A63
> gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 99421A63

Hello there,

This may not be much of an answer to your problem but anyway:

On windoze systems, when you don't get a reply from 127.0.0.1, you've got a problem with your tcp/ip stack network driver.
You should then try to reset it (on windoze you will have to do it with netsh and then reconfigure the nic) or/and reinstall the nic driver.

You may also try reinstalling packages like the ones you mentioned, since there are just so many dependencies, but keep your backups close and warm.

Cheers!