pulseaudi and pavucontrol - was - Re: Anyone got Dragon Naturally Speaking working under Debian Wheezy? <resolved>

On 22/08/2014, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/21/2014 09:34 PM, Martin Read wrote:
>> On 22/08/14 00:49, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>>> That's why I go off on a rant once in awhile, that pavucontrol needs to
>>> be a pulse depend, or users won't have the tool to setup and adjust
>>> pulse with.
>>
>> It's currently a Suggests; I suggest you file a bug report suggesting
>> that this should be bumped to Recommends. (I wouldn't go as far as
>> Depends, because IMO pulseaudio should not require X11.)
>
> You're right ...that IS a conundrum! Huh. Funny though, on my
> text-mode-only Proxmox Debian based server I don't use sound either.
>
> -OR- declare alsa or Jack for servers and pulse for Desktops? I hope to
> see some debate resolve the case.
>
> But, as it stands, the lack of pre-installed pavucontrol, on the
> desktop, grieves many users who don't know to use it until they've
> beaten their brains out ...and this has been the case for years. We
> could spare a lot of newer people the grief. :) Ric

As a befuddled user, who benefitted from the particular advice on
list, to install pavucontrol with pulseaudio, in order to get sound
working on a computer, I think, in the context of the above, that
having pavucontrol as a "Recommended" package to install with
pulseaudio, with some explanation like "GUI configuration tool for
pulseaudio", would probably be quite good.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."