Re: Anyone got Dragon Naturally Speaking working under Debian Wheezy?

brian wrote:

> My wife has developed a problem with her hands, and can't type more
> than a few sentences without severe pain.

Ouch.  My wife has a similar problem.  She's gotten better, but she
still needs to use Dragon.

> I've got Dragon (V10, which
> was supposed to be the most compatible) installed, but configuring it
> is a problem because you have to almost yell down the microphone to
> get the sound to register when training it. I can get it to work but
> my wife is (much!) quieter-spoken than I am, and it just will not work
> for her.

My wife had to try a couple different sound cards, as well as headsets,
before she got something that worked.  This was using Windows natively,
not through WINE (first XP, then Windows 7).

> Her PC is a bog-standard eMachines/Wal-Mart job, so nothing fancy,
> sound is off the motherboard, no added cards. There should be enough
> CPU power there, though, 2.3 GHz dual core with 3GB of RAM.

My understanding is that Dragon is a memory hog, at least in older
versions (my wife is not up to Dragon 10 yet).  I think my wife's system
has 8GB RAM.  With 3GB, even if you fix the sound level problem, you
might find Dragon making lots of recognition errors.

regards and best wishes,

mike