Re: printing

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014, dick kampman wrote:

> My old HP-LaserJet-6MP is printing apropriate under Ubuntu and Fedora.
> Under Debian, helas, I just get white pages. I tried to
> edit /etc/cups/ppd/HP-LaserJet-6MP but without result.
>
> What should I do?

What version of Debian?  You using Jessie or Sid?

Check that the printer is recognized by the system.  Could be a USB
problem.  Check or replace the printer cable.

I once had a Slackware install where the printing would fail
spontaneously even though the day before it worked fine.  Never figured
out why, but this alway seemed to fix it for a while:

1. A cold reboot with the printer on,

or, if that failed;

2. After reboot, cycle printer off, then on.

After tiring of rebooting every few days, I finally purged cups
completely, reinstalled it, and added the printer back.  Everything
worked fine after that.