Re: Gnome for jessie

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 13:03:54 -0400 (EDT), Michael Biebl wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:00:10 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> My main objection to GNOME as the default desktop environment is
>> that it *requires* 3D graphics acceleration from the X driver,
>
> Not quite true. On graphics hardware which doesn't provide 3D
> acceleration, gnome-shell falls back to use llvmpipe, which provides
> software-rendering on most hardware.

Apparently, this is a new development.  I used GNOME when it was the
default at GNOME 2.  Then, when GNOME 3 first came out, it required
3D acceleration, but had a fallback mode for hardware that didn't
support it.  I continued to use GNOME 3 in fallback mode.  Then,
at some point, they eliminated fallback mode; and my desktop became
totally unusable.  At that point, I switched from GNOME to XFCE;
and I haven't tried GNOME again since, even when using hardware
that supports 3D acceleration.

*Requiring* 3D for a DE, whether from the hardware or via software
emulation, is a bad idea, IMO.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :