Re: Render lag/delay on Testing

Jonas Lippuner wrote:

Hi Debian users,

Ever since the xserver on Debian Testing was upgraded to 1.16 (and
after the issue with the lacking Nvidia driver was fixed), I've been
having rendering issues.

Sometimes (it randomly comes and goes), some windows or content of
windows experience a big delay (seconds) with being redrawn or updated
with new information. Often the window would just sit there unchanged
until I move the mouse a bit or resize the window to force it to
redraw. Other times, the effect of a keyboard command, say A, is not
shown until the next keyboard command, say B, but then the effect of A
is shown while the effect of B only becomes visible after yet another
command.

Here is a concrete example:

I open www.google.com in Iceweasel. I press F6 to highlight the text
in the address bar, but nothing appears to happen. If I now start
typing, I will actually type in the address bar, but the window did
not redraw to show that the address bar is highlighted. So the command
was correctly registered, but the window was not redrawn to show this.
If instead of typing something I press F6 again, then the focus moves
to the Google search box in the background (and if I now started
typing, I would type in the search box), but the window is now redrawn
showing the address bar highlighted, so the window is updated with the
previous state that is now no longer valid.

This is extremely annoying and I have not been able to determine
why/how this is happening or how to fix it. I was also not successful
at finding any info online about other people experiencing the same issue.

I have the xserver 1.16, the proprietary nvidia-driver 340.24 package,
xfce4 (4.10.1) and lightdm (1.10.1). I don't even know in which of
these packages the bug is...

Is anybody else experience such rendering problems or does anybody
have any idea what might be going on?

Well, I run Sid but the same xserver and nvidia-driver 340.24 from upstream and I notice none of those problems so I doubt it is those 2.

Hugo