Re: Anybody know who user-65534 is?

 Hi.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 00:44:31 +0200
david <davcefai@keyworld.net> wrote:

> I have been bothered by this too.
>
> KUser shows this user as "nobody" whose home directory is
> "/nonexistent" and whose login shell is /usr/sbin/nologin.
>
> The account on one machine is set as disabled but both my current
> machines (#3 failed to turn on today :-( ) suffer the shut down delay -
> most times but not always.
>
> The interesting bit (I think) is that this user is a member of only the lp,
> lpadmin and nogroup groups.

This appears wrong to me. You see, stock Debian's nobody is:

$ getent passwd nobody
nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh

$ id nobody
uid=65534(nobody) gid=65534(nogroup) groups=65534(nogroup)

So, you have custom shell for nobody, which can be the source of your
problem, and you have custom groups for nobody, which is asking for
trouble (see /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.txt.gz).

Reco