default layout for web server (jessie)

Last time I fiddled with setting up a web server was some 4-5 yrs ago.

Things appear to have changed a bit.

Can anyone point to a URL or etc that would show what a default layout
might look like.

Back when.. /var/www/localhost/htdocs was DocumentRoot and the
default cgi-bin directory was: /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin.

Apparently `DocumentRoot' is now:
/var/www/html/... but where is the default cgi-bin directory?

I chose web-server during the software choices when installing but
/var/www/ contains only ./html and /var/www/html/ contains only the
default `index.html'.