Re: Using a second monitor

On 08/13/2014 02:20 PM, Bzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:50:37 -0400
"Robert D. Hilliard" <bobhilliard@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a new Dell Ispiron that dual boots Windows 7 and Debian 7.4.
The new machine uses the F1 key to connect to the second monitor,
but it only works in Windows - In Debian pressing F! is a noop.
These are old but could help you:
http://thecodecentral.com/2011/03/01/switch-to-external-monitor-connected-via-hdmivga-port-in-ubuntu
http://askubuntu.com/questions/129524/how-to-switch-display-from-laptop-to-external-monitor
http://wiki.bodhilinux.com/doku.php?id=display_-_set_shortcut_key_to_switch

I have a Dell Latitude, E6510,and it will display the same picture on both screens in Windows 7, but I can only get it to go to one screen in PCLinuxOS. I can switch displays, altho I'm not sure which combination does it--I just hooked up the other monitor now to see what would happen--but playing with control + alt + shift +function key, some combination will switch from one to the other. PCLOS thinks the external monitor has lower resolution, but I suppose if I were only using that one,
I could set the res to what the monitor wants.

This particular laptop has absolutely no user manual whatever. The only thing available is two pictures showing what the connectors do and where the optical drive is, and a page of specs.

And I agree: Dell is not at all interested in Linux. I bought this unit after having used an old laptop, and that one had excellent documentation, and a really nice keyboard. The k/b on this
one is OK, too, altho for use at home, I use an IBM k/b plugged in via usb.

I haven't looked at the references above--I really have no interest in using an external monitor,
since I have a 15½" screen on this laptop already.

So play with it. Probably there is some combination that will activate your remote screen.

--doug