Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

On 8/13/14, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>>
>> Debian sid
>>
>> systemd currently fails to poweroff for me
>>
>> XFCE (appears to) exit, the mouse point shows
>> for a while, then the kernel/ shutdown log appears.
>>
>> The last message is:
>> "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user me"
>>
>> Red asterisks (up to 3) appear to oscillate at left
>> edge in an ascii "wait for me" animation.
>>
>> Requires hard powercycle to poweroff.
>>
>> How might I debug this?
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/07/msg01108.html
>
> I've been assuming that the Debian maintainers had backported the fix
> to (1) in the link above, but perhaps not. I haven't experienced this
> though and you seem to be the first to report this on the list in
> spite of many seemingly using systemd in testing and unstable,
> willingly or not.

For me, it seemed to start happening after a sid update a week or may
be two ago. That's not useful for any pinpointing, but my sid update
from yesterday did not relieve the issue.

On 8/13/14, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
> wrote:
>> Right.  Debian Sid. 'halt' does not poweroff with systemd.
> I think this behaviour has changed from pre-systemd era.

For the record, I am using XFCE's "Shutdown" button (near the logout,
sleep etc buttons).

Also, I came across the halt/poweroff thing quite a while back when
others did too, so when from cmd line I do use sudo poweroff now,
rather than halt.

I too used to always use halt command. But not any more :)

But in this instance, I'm trying to shutdown from XFCE "standard gui".

Thanks,
Zenaan