Re: Quiet Bootups

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 14:15:08 -0400
Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/10/14, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >
> > The next time I reinstall, I'm moving to LILO too. LOL, but me, I
> > love that text stream, so no append="quiet" for me. :-)
>

> I started to *snark* something along the lines of that it's when those
> lines of text STOP that the real fun begins then realized... that's
> where I've been A LOT lately... Being able to read those lines when
> they do stop has occasionally and certainly proven more helpful than
> staring at a, oh, I don't know... several minutes lingering blank
> purple screen, for example.. =)
>
> Cindy :)

Yeah, that's my point. 99% of the time, the lines just let me know
nothing's hung, and everything's progressing, whether well or badly,
it's at least progressing. When things *don't* go right, I can look at
the last few lines before the freeze or delay, and try to figure out
what it's doing when it hung or delayed, and try to fix or temporarily
disable that while trying to find the root cause.

SteveT