Re: understanding Debian support on ARM architecture

 Hi.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 17:09:58 +0300
Martin T <m4rtntns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reco,
>
> thanks for this explanation! Could you please explain this hardware
> enumeration provided by x86/x86-64 CPU's to kernel bit more? What kind
> of information is provided to kernel in case of x86/x86-64 CPU?

Sure:

1) Obtain any x86 hardware.

2) Boot Linux.

3) Run lspci. Observe a non-empty result, which will probably include
SATA, Ethernet, USB, Memory controllers and probably much more.

4) Repeat steps 1-3 with any ARM board (assuming successful boot, of
course). Observe exactly one line that says (in my case, and that's
good one, usually there's nothing at all):

00:00.0 Host bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88F6281 [Kirkwood]
ARM SoC (rev 03)

And that particular hardware has at least Memory, Ethernet, 4-port
SATA controller and USB.

That's they mean then they talk about hardware enumeration - it's all
there yet ARM platform has no means to discover it or to tell Linux
kernel its there.

So, you count the hardware, produce device tree, compile it into the
kernel - and you can work with said hardware.

You have a different set of hardware - you'll need a different device
tree. And that means a different kernel.

PS There's no need to CC me, I'm subscribed to the list.

PPS Please do not top-post.

Reco