Re: Wheezy GRUB problem

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue 05 Aug 2014 at 09:36:18 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have a Wheezy system shared with MS XP. GRUB is not in MBR but in Debian
>> partition installed. Not recommended I know but basically works. Until last
>> upgrade when my GRUB loader only writes GRUB then halts. Or at least not
>> continue loading. No errors just stops. I have tried latest (7.6.0) Debian
>> install disc Recovery function to reinstall grub with grub-install
>> /dev/sda2 without success. Still just a GRUB line on screen when Debian
>> partition is active. When I switch active partition back to XP it runs. I
>> am able to mount sda2 from Debian installer and there is no fsck error.
>
> What messages did you get when did 'grub-install /dev/sda2'?

Sorry I cannot recall exactly but something about some /dev/sda2/...
file when execute shell on mounted /dev/sda2. With installer
environment there was no grub-install just grub-installer. Because I
do not know what is the difference I had not enough courage to
execute.

The good new I was able to recover my system with supergrub disk. I
was able to boot into my original system with supergrub then
update-grub. For sure I run grub-install -f /dev/sda2 and now I am
using my good old Debian system. What was strange I got a lot of
errors about fake start-stop-daemon and needed to rename
start-stop-daemon.REAL to start-stop-daemon for a successful boot. No
idea at all what, when, and why created that fake start-stop-daemon
script. Hope no more surprise in my system.

Bye,