Re: postgresql doesn't start at boot

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 05:19:14PM +0100, Glyn Astill wrote:
> > From: Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com>
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org Sent: Wednesday, 6 August 2014,
> >15:58 Subject: postgresql doesn't start at boot
> >

> >sid amd64 ================
> >
> >Hi mailing-listers,
> >
> >since the upgrade from 9.3 to 9.4, postgresql doesn't automatically
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >start at boot anymore.  I added a symlink to
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Indeed; but is that really the issue?  Check your postgresql server
> logs for something along the lines of "database files are incompatible
> with server".

That won't stop it from starting.

> Since 9.3 -> 9.4 is a major version upgrade, you need to make sure
> your data directory is migrated to the new internal storage format.
> You most likely want to upgrade with pg_upgrade or a dump restore.

Let's assume that the poster has half a clue e.g poster is upgrading
from 9.3 -> 9.4 therefore it is reasonable to assume the poster has
already successfully done the 9.1 -> 9.2 -> 9.3 upgrades, and hence
used the same methodology.

I may be wrong BUT if they used a new internal storage format then I
think that it would not be 9.3 -> 9.4 but 9.3 -> 10.x

The other clue is that the poster said I'll try that when I get to *work*
tonight.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X