Re: Systemd: follow-up

On Thu 07 Aug 2014 at 20:25:22 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> After rescuing two laptops which were unbootable after the installation of
> systemd-sysfs I had problems with stuff as bluetooth and some of the
> services.

There are wiser and more cautious courses of action to follow other
than installing systemd-sysv.

> So I decided to do a clean install of stable and got going - until I left
> my laptop for some hours to finish a job - and it would not react to
> anything I did on the keyboard.  I had to switch it off and restart it.  I
> though it might only be a little hiccup so I went on working on stable
> (although I could not get my wifi working).  Then at one stage I left it to
> build a package and when I returned, it finished the job and was totally
> unresponsive.

So this had nothing to do with systemd.

> So I deciided at least I could work with testing and I did a dist-upgrade
> to testing only to find that I could not boot.

Starting with a broken system generally means ending up with a broken
system.

> So for now, after using Debian for many years on my laptop, I am going to
> try something else.
>
> I would like to return to Debian when the systemd problems are sorted out.

I don't think anything that happened shows systemd as a prime cause of
your troubles. But the account will become part of the folklore. :)