Re: wicd difficulties joining some unsecured wireless networks

Joel Roth wrote at 2014-08-06 11:26 -0500:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 04:54:42PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> > In some airports, and today at a university
> > I've failed to join "unsecured" networks.
> >
> > I've been using wicd-gtk.
> >
> > The failure takes the form of a time-out during the get IP
> > address stage.
>
> Today I found, that if I went back to wpa_gui, I could
> associate with the access point and then use dhclient to get
> an IP address. I'm mystified that wicd doesn't get that
> right, and a little disappointed that it is not a silver
> bullet for my wifi connection.

I have had the same problem with wicd.  It seems like it does not
check for a successful association before running dhclient.  My
workaround has been to manually run 'iw wlan0 connect -w ESSID' after
the point at which wicd runs dhclient.

This problem may have been fixed, because it no longer seems to be an
issue; I have (jessie) wicd 1.7.2.4-4.1 and linux-image-3.14-2-amd64.