Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On 7/29/2014 5:22 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 28 iul 14, 17:05:56, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>
>> But then if you have residential service, there really is no need to
>> have your own MTA (other than you want it).
>
> Running your own MTA can be beneficial even if it is not accessible from
> the internet:
>
> - queuing: some mail clients block while sending and you also don't have
>   to worry if the smarthost is not available for the moment

That's a mail client problem.  The correct solution if you have this
problem would be to get another client.

> - DRY: don't repeat yourself by making the same configuration in every
>   mail client you use

You still need to configure "every mail client you use".

> - local mail works and is not relayed through your smarthost

True, if you have a need for a significant amount of local mail.  But
residential users don't send a lot of mail internally.  There are better
ways of sharing things - like shared network storage.

The only thing my wife and I send to each other via email is forwarding
emails.  Everything else is shared through network storage (which also
serves as a backup device).

> Depending on your needs the first two points can be solved with one of
> the lightweight MTAs, but I only know of dma that can do all three.

Sure, if you need them.

> Besides, both postfix and exim are very well tested and documented and
> can be configured to do more advanced stuff (e.g. address rewriting).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Yes, I know Exim can be configured to do a lot.  But I have yet to see
where it is advantageous to run a MTA on a residential connection, and
know of a lot of reasons why it's bad.

I do run Exim on several servers (actually I have a friend who has
helped set them up - I am NOT a Linux Admin).  But every one of these
servers is in a data center with static IP addresses.

And the biggest advantage is I can access them from my laptop, ipad,
smartphone or whatever - no matter where I am, with no changes to the
email configuration.  You can't do that when the MTA is in your home.

And my outgoing mail doesn't get blocked because it's coming from a
dynamic IP.

Jerry