systemd unable to enter emergeny mode (and failing to skip mount)

Hi,

Yet another thing I now stumbled upon with systemd (I really don't
mean to bash it, but now I'm getting tempted). I have a raid 10 BTRFS
array, and 1 drive failed, so I want to replace it.
I physically replaced the disk, but now I can't get past this next hurdle.

Because of an entry about that array in /etc/fstab, systemd does not
proceed to boot properly. I get the 'recovery mode' dialog about
password and Ctr-D, but neither seems to work, so I can't edit fstab
to boot up further. It won't accept my password (worked fine 2 days
ago).

Also, I don't get dropped into recovery mode when using the default
grub entry, but only with the 'recovery mode' entry. I do get the
'Welcome to emergency mode' message, but nothing about Ctrl-D or the
root password.

Any ideas besides booting from external boot media?

Also, I think the 90 second timeout is just wrong, the mount fails
because the array is degraded, it should return immediately (but still
drop to recovery mode) since a 'mount' command would also return
immediately.

Does anyone experiences similar things, and how do you deal with it?

Best regards,
Steven