Re: New 64bit Installation. Root partition too small--what to do?

On Monday 28 July 2014 17:38:14 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > Disk has one region (that I know of) with errors.
> > I can partition so this region is not used.
> > Is there some utility to repair it?
> > Is this sickness like to spread?
>
> You first have to determine *precisely* what is wrong with the drive.
> That requires the proprietary information and engineering resources of
> the drive manufacturer, and the knowledge and skills to use them.  The
> practical answer is to buy another drive.

Why I am reluctant to "wipe and recycle" this drive. Most-most of one terra
though.

> > Temporarily, [my 80 GB drive] should do just fine [as system drive].
> > Easy to move using lilo
>
> Moving a questionable Linux system image from a broken hard disk drive
> to a working drive will result in a questionable Linux system.  The
> practical answer is to do a fresh install on the working drive.

The images came from the new install, were never on the bad drive. Should have
no problems  until the 80giger begins to go. Only home was brought over from
the bad drive and there were no problems on that partition. I saved copy of
the old /etc as well from which to take configuration stuff if I needed it. So
am running a fresh install. The problems are only the crappy partitioning done
by the installer.

A fresh install would require another new drive if I do not want to move stuff
on and off the bad one.