Re: mounting a Nikon camera

On 7/27/14, tv.debian@googlemail.com <tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have no experience with your model, but the Nikon cameras I know (I
> use DSLRs) are accessed though PTP and not via usb as mass storage. I
> use Digikam (which uses libgphoto2) to retrieve the images, I know
> Gphoto2 and a few other programs can do that to.
> With a file manager it is sometimes possible to access the camera via a
> special url, like in Gnome Nautilus gphoto2://[usb:id] where [usb:id] is
> the numeric usb vendor:device id you get from the "lsusb" command output.
> In KDE the Dolphin file manager one can use the special "camera:/"
> address to access such cameras.
>
> But in your case the most likely issue is the relative old age of the
> system, the vendor:device id of your camera may not be among those in
> the known devices list.

In addition to some of the other suggestions, I eventually was able to
retrieve images via these routes:

* Playing around with GTKam. That was a few years ago. It was a
struggle but did eventually work. Don't know if the problems I had
with it were because of my newness with Linux/Debian in general or
something about the software itself.

* One of the disk utility softwares (apologies, forgot which one).
Whichever one it was, it recognized the camera was attached when
nothing else did and offered the option of mounting it. BOOM, solved
just like that. Everything else saw the camera once mounted via
whichever disk utility it was.

* Not long after finding success with the second choice, I was taste
testing a different operating system that didn't include by THAT point
already forgotten disk utility name so ended up using a VERY cheap,
like $3, $4 memory card reader connected directly via its own
dedicated USB port. I note "dedicated" (its own) because the reader
didn't function when connected via a 4-port hub. Have not looked back
ever since finding that route. It is SO easy. These days my
10-year-old Thinkpad has an onboard SDHC card slot that makes that
choice even easier..

The easy card reader option having been said.... I'd still keep trying
to find what it takes to mount the way you're trying if you have the
time to do so. Never know when it might lead to learning that much
more invaluable information about your setup.. You'll be someone's
Hero one day when they stumble upon your "SOLVED" subject line
matching their own similar compatibility struggle. :)

Cindy :)

PS I do want to give a k/t to Shotwell. It changed my way of
organizing photos. My brain was organizing them mathematically by
folder sized batches of 25, 50, 100 when they should really have been
by date even though that regularly means folders with 100's of files
to sift through.. YES, a *seeming* no-brainer but some of us have to
learn the hard way.. *wink, grin*

Some file managers have super simple keyboard shortcuts of
CTRL+1/CTRL+2 that flip between list and icon view. CTRL++ then
enlarges icon images so you can actually view them. Yes, some photo
managers offer similar functions, too. Gwenview comes to mind there.
*Cognitively* and sometimes _computer resource_ wise, though, it just
happens to work better for me to have a limited number of software
options performing the bulk of daily personal computing.

PPS Another nice thing about Gwenview is that it logically throws
videos into the mix when you're reviewing images one-by-one. I did run
into regular glitches where Gwenview would freeze up, lock down on
videos to the point of having to reboot. That was a while back on a
different computer. Could have been low computer hardware resources or
something that may have been addressed in Gwenview's upgrades since..

It was somewhere around the (frustrating) point of regularly facing
Gwenview systemwide freezes that I accidentally discovered our humble
file managers are a reasonable/rational image organizing alternative.
>From there, you're just one quick right click away from how you want
to manipulate your videos and images for publishing on the web or
elsewhere..

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *