Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 2014-07-25 at 21:33 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 25.07.2014 20:27, schrieb Steven Post:
>
> > I'm running Jessie (lagging about 5 days behind with the updates) and
> > use systemd-sysv. Today I noticed that there is no visual feedback from
> > fsck when checking an ext4 filesystem at boot time. Since it appears the
> > system is stuck (apart from the HDD LED) I would consdider this a bug.
> > Is this known? I wanted to check the list first, especially since the
> > system not fully up-to-date, before filing a bug report. I quick search
> > didn't bring up any results.
>
> If the system is booted with the "quiet" kernel command line option, no
> messages are shown by systemd.
> You can either remove "quiet" from the kernel command line or use the
>  systemd.show_status=true|false
>  systemd.sysv_console=true|false
>  systemd.log_level=
>  systemd.log_target=
> boot options to control that in a fine grained manner.

I removed the 'quiet' flag from the command line (/etc/default/grub,
then running update-grub), see what that does.
If memory serves me correct it will generate a lot of output from the
kernel itself. So I may yet change that with one of those systemd flags.

The 'quiet' flag is a remnant of when the system was installed, with
sysvinit, a few years back.

> Understandably, users are worried when the screen just stays black for a
> while without a feedback from the system.
>
> So a future update of systemd will slightly change this behaviour:
> whenever there is a service that failed or takes longer then a certain
> threshold (iirc it's something like 5 secs), systemd will automatically
> switch into verbose mode.

Seems like a good solution.

> [1] has more details.
>
> This requires a newer upstream release which is currently prepared for
> experimental and will land in unstable hopefully soon.
>

> I hope that addresses the concerns most users have with the current
> behaviour.

Looking forward to the update, I think it will address a lot of concerns
and avoid a lot panic on upgrades to Jessie once it becomes the stable
release.

> Michael
>
> [1]
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-January/016546.html