Re: New 64bit Installation. Root partition too small--what to do?

On 07/25/2014 12:04 AM, David Baron wrote:
This is very good and sound advice, actually. Problem is, I tried selecting
manual partitioning on the install and saw no interface to actually do it.

You're probably not understanding the installer's manual partitioning pages. I learned by fumbling around and seeing what happens. Scroll up and down the page with the cursor keys. Press enter on items to activate them. Many will open up new pages with more options. It helps if the only drive in the computer is a blank spare system drive.

(If I set up partitions beforehand, will the installation simply respect them?)

The installer will see them, but it won't allocate/ assign them unless you tell it to do so.

Another alternative: First, to do the above or anything else with the older 1-
terra. I need to thoroughly test it, do something about the bad spot if it is
still around after formatting. Once I know I can use this drive, I can
reinstall to it or ...
Move the too-small root partition to a reasonable primary on this drive. Can
have a separate boot is desirable, maybe in the former / which is all of
325meg--yuk! I can make other partitions for /opt or anything else which is
getting full-up. Moving stuff and changing fstab is no problem.

So, your entire Linux system is on a flaky 1 TB drive? Download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run all available tests. If the drive is going out, wipe or sledge hammer it and put it in the recycle bin. If the drive is good, wipe it and use it for a data drive or a backup/ archive drive. You want a small, fast drive for your system drive; 10+ GB SSD's are really nice.

Question: How do I tell grub about new /, new /boot, etc.?? Seems to be mostly
automatic with little documentation. Or do I go back to lilo which I at least
know how to configure :-)?

The installer offers to set up GRUB in the master boot record near the end; I answer yes. I haven't had to manually configure a boot loader in years.

HTH,

David