Main Menu

Right clicking on the Main Menu icon brings up the Edit Menu program. However, once in there, it will only allow me to (un)check items, delete items or add items. it will not allow me to mover items up or down or to move to another section. My main thing is I want them alphabetized. Some installed programs go in the right slot and some are tacked on to the bottom of the list. Plus, my Others section has a ton of stuff that needs to be categorized properly. I've tried reinstalling, via synaptic, every "menu" entry installed, but that hasn't helped. It's been this way for at least a month or two.
Debian Wheeze using Gnome Classic.