Re: xboard: how to enter variations

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:42:09AM -0500, Charles Blair wrote:
>    I type
> xboard -variations true
>
> and the board display pops up.  In edit game
> mode, I make the
> moves 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 and it waits for Black's move.
>
> Then I use the < button to go back one move.
> I hold the shift key while moving a pawn from
> f2 to f4.  Then I save the file.  It shows
> 2 f4 as a second game, instead of a variation
> in the first game.

You may be lucky and someone here will be able to help you *but* I
suggest that you try http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/ There are two
I would ask on the xboard-devel@gnu.org *AFTER* making sure I am doing
what the documentation says but not getting the results I expect.

I don't know what kind of reception you'll get asking a user support
question on a development list but there appears to be no user support
list/forum.

Describe the problem a bit more - what happens exactly and what did you
expect to happen.

I use xboard but don't use it in the way you describe above, so I can't
help you in this case.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X