Re: systemd surprises

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:53:01AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 03:07:54PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 01:43:23AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I logged out of fvwm, and hence X, tty3 (the tty where X was
> > > running) displayed this at the top of the screen:
> > >
> > > enabled, not active [unchanged]
> >
> > I happen to recognise that as a message from laptop-mode-tools. It's
> > telling you that laptop-mode is enabled (in other words available), but
> > not active (probably because you're on mains) and that this hasn't
> > been changed by the event that triggered the check.
>
> Weird! This is the first time I've seen this. Mind you, this was the
> first time that X started in tty3, it always started in tty7 or tty8.
>

> > > Is this normal or a bug?
> > >
> > > How do I regain the use of this tty as a text console?
> >
> > I would try pressing Enter a few times (if a getty is on that terminal,
> > that should cause it to re-display the "login:" prompt). Or, failing
> > that, use the SAK (Either Alt+SysRq+K
>
> That displays:
> [2684081.414926] SysRq : Changing Loglevel
> [2684081.415271] Loglevel set to 2
>
> I tried it again, and it worked!!
>
> THANKS!!
>
> But I can't replicate it! *Damn*,
>
> I still keep getting this:
>
> [2684081.414926] SysRq : Changing Loglevel
> [2684081.415271] Loglevel set to 2

Ah, yes. You're on a laptop keyboard, I suspect. And to press "SysRq"
you need to press "Fn"? Which also toggles the numeric pad, where K maps
to 2? Yes.

Probably best to avoid that combination, then :)

> I get this occasionally:
> tal% [2685258.014222] SysRq : HELP : loglevel(0-9) reBoot Crash
> terminate-all-tasks(E) memory-full-oom-kill(F) kill-all-tasks(I)
> thaw-filesystems(J) saK show-backtrace-all-active-cpus(L)
> show-memory-usage(M) nice-all-RT-tasks(N) powerOff show-registers(P)
> show-all-timers(Q) unRaw Sync show-task-states(T) Unmount force-fb(V)
> show-blocked-tasks(W) dump-ftrace-buffer(Z)

In this instance, you've pressed SysRq and released it. The kernel has
then helpfully told you what options are available.

> > or Ctrl+Alt+Pause) which will kill
> That displays:
>
> Ctrl+Alt+Pause doesn't do anything for me, pity as it would be far
> easier!

Hmm. That probably means it's not enabled as such. Apparently, the
proper method is to add

  echo "control alt keycode 101 = SAK" | /bin/loadkeys

to a file run at boot (for example, any file in /etc/rc.boot).