Re: SSD optimization on Debian (2014)

Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Bob Proulx:
> > The referenced thread has much good information concerning trim (aka
> > the discard option) and I recommend reading through the entire thread.
> > You are fine with trim enabled.  In some cases using trim may help.
> > In some cases using trim may hurt.  I haven't enabled it on my main
> > laptop.  I am using a high quality SSD that has a signfican't amount
> > of internal over-provisioning.
>
> What's "significant"?

I would say the Intel 320 series is significant.  I happen to know a
few of the folks that that worked on it and they were rather proud of
that drive when it released.  Those are the ones with the non-power of
two sizes such as 120G, 240G, 600G and so forth.  Of course memory is
actually in a binary power of two.  Plus there is additional space
too.  All of the extra space not advertised to the consumer is
available as over-provisioning.  I have one of the 600G drives and it
has been a great performer for me.  And so that is what I mean when I
say a high quality drive.  It was so much faster than the spinning
hard drive that I replaced that I simply stopped there.

> Wait a minute … yes, that's the article I am thinking of:
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op

The Intel S3700 you referenced in the Anandtech review has 264G of
capacity internally but only advertises 186G of it to the consumer.
The remaining 78G is internally available for over-provisioning.  I
would say that is quite significant.  It looks like it was the
reference system in the benchmarks above.

It does look like the cheaper OCZ and Samsung drives benefited from
the free space.  I guess that knocks them down out of the high quality
drive and into the mid quality section.  (shrug)

> If you use TRIM (either using the discard mount option or using fstrim
> regularly), your usable spare area is manufacturer spare area plus free
> space on your filesystem. If you don't use TRIM (and don't keep
> unpartitioned space), your spare area is only as large as what the
> manufacturer intended it to be.

Agreed.  But it adds complexity.  It has to work bug free.  And
performance is still quite good without it.

Bob