Re: SSD optimization on Debian (2014)

On 07/06/2014 05:29 PM, KS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to upgrade my system to amd64 and used that opportunity to
> install 2 240GB (1GB = 1000MB etc. unfortunately) SSDs on my rig.

[...]

> What I want to know at this point is:
> Is there anything else that is recommended?

Nothing that I am aware of.

> The section on RAMDISK options on tmpfs, does that help?

As long as your /tmp does not normally exceed your RAM size it might be
a good idea. Still, it is not really SSD specific: It will of course
save a few writes, but as long as /tmp is always smaller than your RAM,
there are obviously not that many writes anyway.

> Lastly, the partition alignment discussion on
> http://tytso.livejournal.com/2009/02/20/ is from 2009 - is it relevant
> today?

Using today's Debian you do not normally need to bother with alignment
as all partitions will be automatically aligned at 1 MiB boundaries by
most of the tools anyway.

> Are any of the above "modifications" really necessary?

None of the modifications is "necessary". You can simply replace a HDD
with a SSD without having to worry much. Still, a ramdisk for /tmp could
be useful (also in HDD environments).

HTH
Linux-Fan