Re: Can't install Debian - USB keyboard doesn't turn on until Windows loads

I have two questions:

1. Would anyone be willing to give me a link to a simple USB keyboard that you
think would work with this machine at boot time? Perhaps on Amazon.com or
Newegg.com, etc.?

2. Do you know of a Debian CD of some type that will load a kernel without the
need of a key press before the kernel loads? Debian install CD's and Live CD's
require a key press at boot in order to load a kernel. I'm not sure about Knoppix
but thought I would ask before wasting a DVD disc to find out that it won't boot.

Here is what's going on with this machine:

The USB keyboard that I have is not supported by the motherboard for some
reason. However, the keyboard does work however after a kernel loads.

My keyboard is a an AZZA brand, model number KME381U. It has buttons on
it that will (in Windows) launch a web browser, change the speaker volume, etc.

The motherboard has no PS/2 connector. I do have a PS/2 keyboard that I
could use, but there is no place on the motherboard to plug it in.

The motherboard does not have a clear CMOS jumper that I could find. There
is a CMOS jumper on the motherboard, however, when this jumper is switched,
when the computer boots, it puts me directly into CMOS and the keyboard
did not work while in CMOS.

I did take out the battery, waited a while, left the battery out, turned on the
computer with the CMOS jumper moved and wound up back in CMOS but
the keyboard was still not working.

I was able to install Debian by changing the windows bootloader to boot the
Debian installer as I described earlier. Now Debian is the only OS on the
machine. I was planning to only use this computer via SSH connection. So,
I only need a keyboard if I want to change CMOS settings or select an option
from the Grub boot menu.

So, it appears that my only solution is to get a different USB keyboard for this
machine.

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 10:57:23 -0700
"Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@wavecable.com> wrote:

> Maybe you need to clear the BIOS settings?  I have never had to do
> that.

From what he said, he's done that (although removing the battery
don't work, except if you wait for "some time" because of the
capacitor(s) power backup).
IF this was done correctly (jumper or short circuit of 2 points),
we could assume a non-ps/2 machine resetting its BIOS would, by
default, enable legacy USB; but we can't be sure 100%…

About the key typing time windows, I've seen BIOSes that only
left ~1s, which is quite short (addon cards, such as SCSI
controllers, can also reduce the window).

--
<J.A> I'm such a no-life that when I get out home,
      people think I'm a new neighbor --'