Re: Help on using Debian

On 09/07/2014, Dreamon Dreamon <dreamondreamon@yandex.com> wrote:

>  --
> Hi, I need help on whether debian operating
> system is compatible with Lenovo Thinkpad e431
> tech specification as follows: Display Size
> (inches): 14.0
> Hard Disk (GB): 500
> CPU Speed (GHz): 2.40
> Processor Type: Intel
> Operating System: Free DOS
> Highlights:
> Screen Size: 14"
> Processor: 2.4Ghz Intel Core
> i3-3110M
> Memory: 500GB HDD; 4GB RAM.
>
> I will appreciate any help you render to enable me install debian on DOS
> with tech specifications
> provided. Looking forward to your positive
> response. Thank you

Hello.

I am not any kind of a Debian expert, but my suggestion is to download
and write to a DVD, a Debian Live ISO image for amd64 (the amd64
version is applicable to the Intel i3 CPU, and CPU's of the ix range),
and use the BIOS to boot from the DVD, using the run LIVE  option (or
however it is specified in the menu, rather than an instal mode), and
see how that works. If that works, then Debian Linux should be able to
be installed and run on the computer.

Whilst some recommend using the netinstal image, my preference is to
use the CD1 image of the CD set, for installing.

You may need a firmware version of an installation ISO. Someone else
on the list, can tell you where to find one.

I am sure that a more knowledgeable person on the list, can correct
any errors in my advice.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale