Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> Am 07.07.2014 21:29, schrieb Andrei POPESCU:
>> To prove my point (on a laptop with LXDE and just a few services):
>> $ grep sleep /etc/init.d/* | wc -l
>> 27
>> $ ls /etc/init.d/* | wc -l
>> 75
>
> Yup, the boot speed improvements come from doing things correctly and
> event based. Socket activation doesn't necessarily mean things are
> delayed but simply that explicit orderings are unnecessary.
>
> The numbers you have posted are depressing, but doing that over the
> complete archive is even more so.
>
> The last time I did an archive wide check on this was early 2014, at
> that time we had 1235 SysV init scripts and 1124 occurences of sleep.

The existence of a sleep call is neither here nor there. For example,
there are many servers that I could try to connect to with a 1 second
timeout, then sleep for a second if that failed, and try again. That
would be better use of the processor than not using sleep at all.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.