Re: is this sensible?

Le 08.07.2014 01:12, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
On Lu, 30 iun 14, 12:35:37, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

One of the first things I do when using aptitude on a new computer is
disabling the "auto-repair feature"

What feature would that be?

The name is not the correct one, because I have no idea about the english name and I did not checked the option's name in my French version.
A better translation would be:
"Automatically repair broken packages before install or removing"
Basically, it is the screen which says "Those packages were broken so I have repaired them for you" before the preview.

and automatic installation of recommended packages.

I do this only on really space constrained systems (e.g. my Raspberry
Pi),

I do this on all systems because otherwise it would install a lot of things I would never use. For example, printing and scanning. In my first times with Debian, I also had the reason that it helped me to learn what packages provides which feature. Also, I could argue that I download less stuff, and I never had a really good Internet connection. Finally, it's easier to know which packages you do not need in recommended ones when they are not automatically installed: just take a look at the recommended packages in the preview, and select what you think you need.

Now, my installations are pretty quick (since I have a relatively clear idea about what I do really need, I can select packages quickly) and lightweight (I had a netbook which was faster than lot of more powerful computers).

but I do selectively disable a specific Recommends (very easy to do
with aptitude in the preview screen) and file bugs to downgrade the
relationship to Suggests whenever it makes sense.

My approached allowed me to discover softwares which were not able to start with some packages which were recommended. So I filed some reports to make them hard dependencies.