Re: SSD optimization on Debian (2014)

On Jul 7, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

>> Using today's Debian you do not normally need to bother with alignment
>> as all partitions will be automatically aligned at 1 MiB boundaries by
>> most of the tools anyway.
>
> Agreed.  No need to worry about it with a default Wheezy or later
> installation.  All handled automatically.

This is true for i386 and amd64, but for (at least) powerpc (I don’t know about mips, arm* etc) the megabyte boundary alignment fixes haven’t found it into the installer’s partition modules yet.

For PowerPC. you *do* have to be careful and partition manually if you are using SSD or “advanced format” hard disks.

Rick