Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Monday, July 07, 2014 03:49:52 PM Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 07.07.2014 21:29, schrieb Andrei POPESCU:
> > To prove my point (on a laptop with LXDE and just a few services):
> > $ grep sleep /etc/init.d/* | wc -l
> > 27
> > $ ls /etc/init.d/* | wc -l
> > 75
>
> Yup, the boot speed improvements come from doing things correctly and
> event based. Socket activation doesn't necessarily mean things are
> delayed but simply that explicit orderings are unnecessary.
>
> The numbers you have posted are depressing, but doing that over the
> complete archive is even more so.
>
> The last time I did an archive wide check on this was early 2014, at
> that time we had 1235 SysV init scripts and 1124 occurences of sleep.

Whatever happened to semaphores (flags)? Seems to me that if a daemon is a
dependency, the second-last startup thing it should do is connect to itself
(since it may well be asynchronous); on success, it should run a flag up the
pole (touch a file somewhere) to tell the world that it is up and ready to
process requests. All of its dependents should wait for that flag to appear
before they make their own services available. And later during operation,
removal of the flag should cause dependent daemons to withdraw their services.