Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2014-07-05 20:25 +0200, Steve Litt wrote:

>> Then there was
>> that upstart thing: a little more convoluted, but still somewhat
>> conformant to the Unix Philosophy. Now comes systemd, which, from what
>> I've heard, is a further step away from the Unix Philosophy, in that it
>> is more monolithic and exerts more control and more continuous control
>> over all programs, from what I understand.
>
> Systemd is anything but monolithic, it includes several dozen programs
> many of which are precisely "doing one thing and doing it well".  E.g.
> the common task of creating a directory/file/socket etc. under /tmp or
> /run is accomplished by systemd-tmpfiles, and packages can just drop a
> snippet in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d do declare what they want.
>
> In the sysvinit world, every package who wants that needs an init script
> which contains the necessary mkdir/mkfifo/chown/chmod commands plus a
> lot of boilerplate.

It's monolithis in that you can't pick and choose the systemd binaries
that you want to use.

For example, you can't use journald without systemd as pid 1 and since
v205 you can't use logind without systemd as pid 1.

>> I don't see systemd as the end of the world. *But*, I think a
>> discussion of a plan B is very ontopic, because if the conversion to
>> systemd turns out to be even 1/10 the fiasco that the kmail to kmail2
>> change was, we all need a systemd alternative, and a plan to make that
>> switch.
>
> So far none of the systemd antagonists has been able to come up with a
> plan B, but time will tell.

Because that would require work. There seems to be so much opposition
to systemd that you'd expect that there'd be by now a standalone v208
(for example) logind but it's development's left to Ubuntu and I doubt
that there's much of an incentive for the latter to continue since
14.04 will most likely stick to v204 and 14.10 is supposed to run via
systemd (judging from Shuttleworth blogging that he wanted to move
quickly to systemd and that v204 is already available in the 14.10
archives).