Re: Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread: systemd

On 07/06/2014 10:19 AM, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I am a foolish user of Wheezy. I want to see for myself
> what will happen if I switch to systemd today. I find on
> wiki.debian.org/systemd a document with steps needed to
> install and test systemd, but I have trouble:
> After using apt-get to install the systemd package the
> next step is (verbatim):
>
> To test systemd before switching to it by default, you can add the following boot parameter to the kernel:
>
> init=/bin/systemd
> (end verbatim)
>
> How do I add this parameter to the kernel?

To do it for test purposes, you boot to the GRUB menu, highlight the
menu entry you would normally boot from, and press 'e'.

In the resulting list, the kernel command line is the one mentioning
'vmlinuz'. Add the parameter to the end of that line, and boot the rest
of the way.

(If your boot process doesn't normally show you the GRUB menu, then I'm
not familiar enough with your configuration to be able to tell you what
you need to do to access it.)

> I think I must open some file somewhere, probably in /etc and edit it
> with vim or emacs (hopefully my choise) and I should place this
> string correctly within that file:
>
> What file (full path) ?
> What position within the file?

If/when you want to make this permanent, you'll need to fiddle with
/etc/default/grub and/or /etc/grub.d/* (I suspect more likely the
former), and run the 'update-grub' command afterwards. Or you could just
install the systemd-sysv package, assuming that's available, which makes
all the necessary changes automatically.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.