Re: [SOLVED] Windows and UTC system time (was: no subject)

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Nelson Green wrote:
> Thanks Thierry, but I am afraid I have to leave the windows
> installation alone.  Fortunately I rarely have to mess with windows,
> and as a general rule I don't lower my standards to theirs, but in
> this case I have no choice, at least until we can eliminate windows
> from the equation completely.

In that case you can tell Debian that the hardware clock is in local
time.  It doesn't solve the problem because twice a year when DST
comes and goes what usually happens is that Windows resets the clock
and therefore it gets set forward and back twice.  But in between
those days it works to coexist with Windows local time view.

But...  Read the man page for rcS and then edit /etc/adjtime and set
LOCAL there.

  man rcS

Boy do I feel dumb. I didn't even realize there was a man page for rcS. Thanks
for pointing that out (I really did start with man).

  editor /etc/adjtime
  ... change UTC to LOCAL ...

Yes, this is exactly what I needed. I will deal with DST when that need arises,
but I'm hopeful that we can be done with windows by then.

Thanks!

Bob