Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 07/05/2014 03:09 PM, Erwan David wrote:
Le 05/07/2014 20:50, Bzzzz a écrit :
On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:25:57 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

My plan is to switch to systemd, see how I like it, and if I don't,
install the old boot system, or if that can no longer be done,
switch distros. I don't see systemd as the end of the world.
*But*, I think a discussion of a plan B is very ontopic, because
if the conversion to systemd turns out to be even 1/10 the fiasco
that the kmail to kmail2 change was, we all need a systemd
alternative, and a plan to make that switch.
I just made a re-installation on my last laptop and it
installed by itself when upgrading to sid.
AFAICS, it is really fast; now, we'll see what problem
will be raised in the future… (hoping it won't turn to
a frigging mess).

I see big problem with this method : it works for a personal standalone
computer.
It is catastrophic when you manage hundreds of servers and tightly
integrated workstations.
And I still see no transition documentation or help.
There is documentation, but only reference docyumentation using very
speciaized and non standard voicabulary, so verycomplicated to understand.
That's what it lacks.

I also think that the transition was far too fast : The testing fast,
see wether it breaks anything should have been done *before* setting it
the default. Not after.

My Proxmox server runs Debian Wheezy, with nary a mention of systemd in sight. Systemd is not a requirement for Jessie, unless you enable it. But, for laptops and desktops, it might prove the cure for all of the suspend/hibernate functions. That would be a good thing, for Joe and Jane Lunchbucket new users ...IMHO. Ric