Re: Boot hangs with Debian Jessie on Toshiba Satellite C55-A

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:00:01 AM UTC+5:30, Sander Marechal wrote:
> On 07/01/2014 06:13 PM, Sander Marechal wrote:
> > I have a brand new Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1ND. I have installed it so
> > that it dual-boots Win8 and Debian (this was an adventure in itself).
> > The problem is that I cannot get Jessie to boot. It just seems to hang
> > after: "Loading initial ramdisk".

> It looks like this is an EFI issue. I did (yet another) complete
> reinstallation of Jessie but this time in CSM/legacy BIOS. Now the
> system boots just fine into Debian.

> Of course, this is far from optimal because now I can't boot Windows *at
> all*.

> So, what could be the problem? I'm now sure it's nothing like a graphics
> issue or anything. I'd say it's a problem with initrd or grub-efi.

> Any help?

My experience is similar -- about a year ago, EFI-laptop+Windows8+Ubuntu:

Switching from grub does not work.
However switching from the UEFI-Bios does.
So now the way (what works for me):
- switch to legacy-bios, boot linux
- switch to 'modern' (EFI), boot windows.

Yeah its a few more keystrokes than good-ol grub, but its not quite:
"can't boot Windows *at all*"